Here is a photo of a white heron, taken by Constance Mier on the main shoreline of Biscayne Bay National Park, near Miami, Florida, on May 25, 2012.
You can see more of Constance’s photos at her webpage: http://cmierphotoandfitness.net/myphotos.html
Yellow-crowned Night Heron
Nope, bill is too thick, eye too big, and Cattle Egret should have black legs
Little Blue Heron (immature)
No, bill is a little too thick, and Little Blue should have greenish-gray legs and bill, not yellow.
Sorry, Great Egret would be much more slender, and have black legs.
Great Blue (Great White) Heron
No, "Great White" Heron would be much more slender, and have drabber grayish legs and bill
Nope, Snowy Egret is more slender and has black or greenish legs, dark bill
Related posts and pages:
- Quiz 25: Wing patterns Update: Congratulations to Alvan, the winner of the Backyard Birds poster. Thanks to all...
- Quiz 24: Wing Patterns With thanks to the online wing collection of the Slater Museum of Natural History, University...
- Quiz 35 – More warblers from below Like a previous quiz this one shows warblers as they are so often seen in...
- Quiz 53: Eastern Sparrows in early September Below are three sparrows photographed in Concord, MA on 11 Sep 2012. Can you identify...
- Quiz 17: Western birds in part Here’s a new variation for an ID quiz. Birds in these photos are mostly masked...
- Identification of female bluebirds by wing structure A pale and grayish female bluebird found in North Carolina recently (March 2012) provided a...
- Quiz 54: Head patterns The three photos below show a Song Sparrow as it turns its head. Your challenge...
- An unusual Cattle Egret in Florida In late April 2012, Roy Halpin found and photographed an entirely buff-colored Cattle Egret in...